Patients with cancer need clear, reliable, and up-to-date information to help them understand and cope with their diagnosis. Making changes to live a healthier lifestyle not only improves how you feel during cancer treatment but also reduces your risk for recurrence of cancer.
The American Cancer Society Guidelines on Nutrition and Physical Activity for Cancer Survivors:
Get to and stay at a healthy weight.
- If overweight or obese, limit your intake of high-calorie foods and beverages and increase physical activity to promote weight loss.
Be active on a regular basis.
- Avoid being inactive and return to normal daily activities as soon as possible following diagnosis.
- Exercise at least 150 minutes a week.
- Include strength training exercises at least two days per week.
Eat a variety of healthy foods from plant sources.
- Limit the amount of processed meat and red meat you eat.
- Eat 2 ½ cups or more of vegetables and fruits each day.
- Choose whole grains rather than refined-grain products.
For more information, download or order materials.